Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Savor it.

I woke up this morning with the stark realization that I had no memory of how food tastes. I haven’t eaten anything by mouth for 5 years and suddenly today it comes to my attention. I began to visualize a cheeseburger but with all my effort I couldn’t connect that picture to any sensation of taste; it was a little disconcerting. One thought leading to another I was also aware that I had taken the ability to chew, taste and swallow cheeseburgers entirely for granted. I watch people eat and notice that they chew fast, swallow and take another bite over and over again without really savoring each of them. The simple act of sharing a meal with others is much more important than I knew. All of this occurred to me within a couple minutes of waking. Now I am stuck with pondering if the only difference between living and merely existing is eating a fucking cheeseburger with a friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment